24/7 MOMS

Sunday, December 4, 2011

The “To Don’t” List


By Steph Fink

I am a “To Do” list-making lunatic.  I’m not kidding.  I’ve been known to make lists of the lists that I’ve wanted to write up.  While my list-making “skill set” proved valuable to my family when we moved last year, it has been equally unhelpful in distracting me from the real meaning of Christmas.   If not on guard, I can checklist the holidays like it's a race to "get through" Or, I can intentionally celebrate Christmas as God intended.  So with an honest heart, I drafted an entirely new list, the “To Don’t List”.
* Facebook my friend - call instead!
* Wrap a gift with a rushed-negative heart!
* Eat a Christmas cookie alone, they're always sweeter with a friend! 
* Fret over the Christmas letter, family picture and change of address cards.  This year I made a joint Christmas greeting/change of address postcard.

* Be rude to the people that are in the Christmas postcard picture while addressing them to go out!  
*Allow the person that stole my parking spot (the blinker told you it was mine!) to steal my joy.  No, I'll confuse em'...I'll smile and wave like we're old friends (cause we would be if you’d stop stealing my spot!).
* Buy anything that I don't have enough money to.
* Forget the best present ever!  No, not the Atari, Cabbage Patch Kid, leg warmers or my Kodak disc camera when I was a child. Jesus!  Jesus’ birth, the life that gave me new life, hope and freedom to love the person who stole my parking spot!
This Christmas season, will you draft a new list…a “To Don’t” list, so your “To Do” lists don’t cram out the real reason for the season?

What’s one thing on your “To Don’t List?”


Steph's writing has appeared in Proverbs 31 Ministry, P31 Woman magazine.  In her free time she can be found encouraging numerous MOPS group in the
northern Virginia area on the "Colorful Art of Friendship - Allowing
God to Paint the Masterpieces" and MOPS leaders on "Being a Bright
Light".


Steph can be found blogging at www.encouragedinheart.org or on Facebook at Stephanie Fink or on her Facebook page Encouraged in Heart - Stephanie Fink.  She loves big hair, big cups of coffee and big bear hugs.





Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Steph said...

One thing on my "To Don't" list is to thank women that have supported me this year. THANK YOU, TRISHA for helping me and countless Mommas be better Mommas! :-)

December 4, 2011 at 2:43 PM  
Blogger Gwen said...

That's a great list! Love the perspective of the stolen parking spot. I'm always quick to give the angry look and the muttered bad words under my breath (as kids are usually in the car). I'm going to try your way instead.

December 5, 2011 at 6:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol - cute!

December 9, 2011 at 7:12 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Don't forget about my husband in the rush to get all the kids taken care of.

December 10, 2011 at 7:17 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home