24/7 MOMS

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Apple Jacks on the Elliptical


By Steph Fink
Beating the crowing rooster (yeah, like that happens in a Washington, D.C suburbia, but you catch my drift…it was early!), this 30-something was warming up her drowsy body as my then five year old, Jake, sleepily wandered in and plopped his groggy body on the guest room bed.
His inquisitive eyes were inspecting the spectacle in front of him. As I warmed my legs up in the routine hamster on the wheel circular motion, I twisted my center core to stretch my arms and stomach muscles.  With utter amazement, Jake spouted out, “How’d you do that Momma? Can you do apple jacks (aka: jumping jacks) on the elliptical too?”
We just covered the whole simultaneous pat your head while rubbing your belly phenomenon the week prior, that’s why my physical contortions appeared impressive and I’ll take the “drops of props” wherever this Jersey girl can get them! I graciously thanked Jake and continued my circular strides.
“No babe, I’m not going to do jumping jacks on the elliptical, it’s just not possible for Mommy to do that safely."  Jake looked a little disappointed but took it in. My mind quickly drifted in the normal stream of consciousness that makes my husbands’ face go “tilt” when I verbalize my endless thoughts to him!
Five years ago, I thought where I am standing today was impossible.  I did not think I could return to my wedding weight.  I reflected to my vast past of “impossible” statements that sounded persuasively believable and weighed them against the truth:
Impossible LIE:  “I’ll never be able to get back to my wedding weight because after my thyroid surgery, I have thyroid problems and my metabolism is screwed up.”
Possible TRUTH:  Not only am I at my wedding weight, I’m working with my (rather dormant) metabolism and my doctor’s monitoring my thyroid levels. 
Impossible LIE:  “It’s impossible to have a regular exercise schedule because my life is just too busy, I’ll just suffer and try to eat less.”
Possible TRUTH: I have time for the things that I deem important.  I didn’t formerly deem exercise important enough to schedule it.  Movement equals exercise.  I take a walk around the block with my kids.  I am exercising while connecting with my kids, hubby, walking partner or God.  I do and will eat less because I am listening to my body and understand the difference between emotional and physical hunger.
Impossible LIE:  “I’m never going to get to my goal weight, it’s taking soooooooooo long, and so it’s just an unreasonable goal.  I’m just gonna be content with where I’m at.”
Possible TRUTH:  I am content with where I am at and at the same time I know in my spirit I am not where God wants me to be.  I will continue to press on because with God on my side, I will get there.  (P.S. – Seven pounds to go to goal weight!)
I wondered where my disconnect was between the lie and truth? The answer - my faith deficiency in the true source, God.  I had faith in “me” (my strength, my abilities) and that is why I failed and back slid.  When I have faith in God to do a work in me, I have experienced sweet, slow and deliberate success.  The center has to be God!
I am encouraged to read in Matthew 17:20-21, "Because you have so little faith. I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you." (New International Version)
The bottom line is that I didn’t believe God could move this formerly obese “mountain”.  He has changed me.  You know what - He can, He did and He will continue to do so because He who is faithful to do a good work in me will be faithful to complete it.  It’s all about Him, not me!
God can do anything, you know—far more than you could ever imagine or guess or request in your wildest dreams! He does it not by pushing us around but by working within us, his Spirit deeply and gently within us. Ephesians 3:20-21 (Message)
My doing an “apple jack” on the elliptical does seems impossible.  If the Lord wants me to do it, I have faith I will (I promise I’ll let ya know!)  Retuning to my wedding weight seemed impossible.  I’m sure there were some people that thought parting a large Red Sea down the middle seemed pretty impossible too!
What’s an “impossible” that you’re face with right now?  Can you find the “possible” statement to match it?



Steph's writing has appeared in Proverbs 31 Ministry, P31 Woman magazine.  In her free time she can be found encouraging numerous MOPS group in the
northern Virginia area on the "Colorful Art of Friendship - Allowing
God to Paint the Masterpieces" and MOPS leaders on "Being a Bright
Light".

Steph can be found blogging at www.encouragedinheart.org or on Facebook at Stephanie Fink or on her Facebook page Encouraged in Heart - Stephanie Fink.  She loves big hair, big cups of coffee and big bear hugs.



Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous steph said...

Another lie I believed is that I'd never be a published writer. After weathering more editor rejection letters, it finally happened! Keep following your dreams. Now being part of the 24/7 MOMS team, I'm so grateful God encouraged me to not quit!

November 27, 2011 at 12:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home