24/7 MOMS

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Need/Want Homework?


By Steph Fink

Homework - Never been a big fan.

I knew I needed to do it, but never once wanted to do it.

I wasn’t a big fan when I was going through school.

And I’m still not a fan as I’m helping my kids.

But like laundry and dust busting endless gold fish crumbs
and explaining why you need to close the bathroom door when we have company…I just do it.


I once, okay twice, had to Google my second graders
homework. That is one sad state of affairs I’ll tell you.   What, like you remember congruent,
similar and angles?


Well, this particular evening I was helping my kindergartner
with his homework.  His assignment
was to draw and write about two things you want and two things you needs then
write what the difference is between wants and needs?


All I know is that this assignment should prove entertaining
cause his vision of life is skewed at best and I’d like to live in the bubble
that my guy lives in.


Wants – piece o’ cake:  Candy and Mightyt Beans (they’re like a more hip Weeble
Wobble).


Needs – Jesus and food.

NEED IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN WANT.

Wow, he said Jesus first!  The food he drew was a broccoli stalk and God.  When writing time came he wrote God
(two less letters makes a different in a kindergartners day ya know).   God was puffy, genderless very smiley person with no hair or
ears…

And while I was feeling rather less than as a mother, like
I’ve not been getting the grade.
Impatient, periodically irrational, certainly invisible  I’d been on him or rather him on me…I
felt that God hug me, that I wasn’t doing everything wrong like I had convinced
myself earlier in the day.  No, in
that moment I felt like everything I wasn’t.  Showered (was that too much information?), and showered in
God’s love and approval.

That was one homework assignment that I didn’t need to
Google but I did get a little giggle.
At just the right moment, God knows when I need a little pick me up.

I need God but want to be perfect.

I want and need Jesus love…acceptance cause I want to get
the grade.

This precious child of mine has an incredible power to wear
me down
persuade those around that his want is really, really a need.  At times it gets to a point where
you’ll be certain that he does need said it.

I want to honor God so I need to stop trying to think I’m
going to parent perfect and then beat myself up each and every time I realize
it’s mission impossible.

Do you beat yourself up for not being a perfect parent,
too?  Where and when are you most
vulnerable to do so?  



Steph's
writing has appeared in Proverbs 31 Ministry, P31 Woman magazine.  In
her free time she can be found encouraging numerous MOPS group in the
northern Virginia area on the "Colorful Art of Friendship - Allowing
God to Paint the Masterpieces" and MOPS leaders on "Being a Bright
Light".

Steph can be found blogging at www.encouragedinheart.org or on Facebook at Stephanie Fink or on her Facebook page Encouraged in Heart - Stephanie Fink.  She loves big hair, big cups of coffee and big bear hugs.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Steph said...

Still not digging homework but am grateful for God's love and being part of the 24/7 MOMS mommas!

October 30, 2011 at 11:39 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home