24/7 MOMS

Thursday, July 16, 2009

Make Your Own Birthday Card Kit


From: Family Fun Magazine

When it comes to crafts I search for those Mommy Stewart ones "SIMPLE". I have never claimed to be a Martha Stewart Mom.

I don’t like to spend $3-$5 on greeting cards, fortunately my kids love to make their own. However, often TIME and the making of a huge mess keep us from being extremely creative. Until a few months ago when I saw this amazing yet simple idea in the February Family Fun magazine. It not only would save me Money but would also simplify my life when it comes to needing a Birthday card.

The Birthday Card Kit Binder - you can also create this to be an all around card making binder or create a 2nd binder to be the Thank You card kit binder.

I will be honest and tell you that I did not make my own I begged one of our crafty Team Members Lori to make it for me and WOW! did she do an amazing job. My children are excited about their new card making kit and so is this Mommy Stewart.

Thanks to Family Fun you can make your very own Birthday Card Kit.

HOW TO OUTFIT YOUR KIT

Turn a humble
three-ring binder into a one-stop card-making shop by adding homemade supply pockets, a handy printable chart, and plenty of irresistible craft goodies. To jazz up the outside of the kit, have your kids glue cutout decorations to sheets of card stock, write a title with marker, then glue the sheets to the cover and spine or slip them into a view binder's clear front and spine pockets.

You will need:

  • Envelopes, blank note cards, and craft supplies (see suggestions below)
  • Plastic ziplock bags in sandwich, quart, and gallon sizes
  • Colored duct tape
  • Three-hole or single-hole punch
  • Three-ring binder (we used a 3-inch view binder from an office supply store)
  • Printable Thank-You Note Tracker or Birthday Calendar

    Thank You notes1 . Determine the quantity and size of bags that will best fit your supplies. We like a smaller size for stamps and labels, while the quart size is perfect for markers. Gallon-size bags may need to be cut down to fit.

    2 . For each pocket, sandwich the bag's bottom edge between two lengths of duct tape, creating one inch of overhang.

    3 . Use the binder's rings to mark the correct positions for holes, then punch the holes through the overhanging tape. Avoid puncturing the bag.

    4 . Affix a printable chart inside the front cover with tape or stickers.
    Thank You notes STOCK YOUR BINDER WITH SUPPLIES LIKE THESE:
    address book * glitter glue * return address labels * postage stamps * pencils * stamps and ink pad * eraser * sharpener * markers * scissors * hole punch

  • Trisha's Hint: These would be great Holiday Gifts, Baby Shower gifts and Birthday Gifts for your Girlfriends and family members.

    Labels: , , , ,

    6 Comments:

    Anonymous Christina Williams said...

    Thanks for sharing, I love this idea.
    rubberstampingmom@hotmail.com

    July 16, 2009 at 8:52 AM  
    Blogger Night Owl Mama said...

    my daughter loves to do crafy things like that thanks for the info

    July 16, 2009 at 12:23 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    This is a great idea. Sometimes I want to make a card, but I don't feel like digging through all of my supplies.

    July 17, 2009 at 4:05 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    awsome idea, i would love this to keep organized!
    affeldt30@yahoo.com

    July 17, 2009 at 11:45 AM  
    Blogger Christina said...

    This is such a wonderful idea. I bought myself binders tonight so I can get started. The Thank You kit is a must for us!

    July 17, 2009 at 9:30 PM  
    Blogger Nancy said...

    This would be a great way to welcome a (crafty) new bride to the family too! Include in the notebook a calendar or listing of her new family's important dates (hubby's parents' anniversary, grandparents' birthdays and anniversary, etc).

    August 2, 2009 at 12:35 PM  

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home