24/7 MOMS

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Valentines Idea #1 - Hot Chocolate Bar


My teen daughters and I are hot chocolate fanatics. It is not surprising to find my girls in the kitchen making creative recipes of hot chocolate in their portable Hot CoCo (coffee) mugs to take to school early in the morning.

My personal favorite place to get a cup of hot chocolate happens to be at the Sea-Tac Airport at
the Dilettante Mocha Cafe. Their milk chocolate is heavenly. The unfortunate part is I only get a cup of this amazing hot chocolate when I travel. I suppose that makes it all the more special when I do get to splurge and have a cup.


My friends over at Busy Bee Life styles shared a fun Hot Chocolate idea that I think would be a great addition to your family Valentine's Day celebration.







Fabulous Hot Chocolate Bar

spoontoppingsTip of the Week: Warm up the Winter with a Hot Chocolate Bar!

During the cold winter months, it’s nice to entertain guests who, like you, might be suffering from a bit of cabin fever! And adding a hot chocolate bar to any winter gathering will be a welcome addition! Here are some ideas for delicious hot chocolate and an assortment of toppings that will bring out the kid in everyone!

Hot Chocolate

I’ve come across a few recipes for home made hot chocolate that are worth the effort, especially if you’ve gone to the trouble of gathering those garnishes!

From Giada De Laurentis

Ingredients:

  • 4 1/2 cups whole milk
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
  • 1/4 cup sugar

Preparation:

In a medium saucepan, heat 4 cups of the milk over low heat, being very careful not to let the milk boil. In a small bowl, mix together the cocoa, sugar, and the remaining 1/2 cup milk. Add the cocoa mixture to the warm milk, and continue to warm the cocoa until hot. Serves 4.

From Epicurious

Ingredients:

  • 12 ounces semisweet chocolate (chips or chopped bars are both fine)
  • 2 quarts milk (8 cups)

Preparation:

1. Combine the chocolate and milk in a heavy saucepan. Place over medium heat until bubbles form, reduce the heat slightly, and simmer until the chocolate melts, whisking constantly.
2. Before serving, raise the heat until the chocolate just boils, still whisking. Serves 8.

hotchocolateFrom Barefoot Contessa

Your easiest option - a rich and smooth hot chocolate mix made with the finest chocolate! (Sinful Hot Chocolate Mix)

Toppings

Pick one, two or all to complete the hot chocolate bar!

Candy

  • Crumbled toffee candy, like Heathbar
  • Crushed peppermints or candy canes
  • Peanut brittle bits
  • Mini chocolate chips/peanut butter chips/white chocolate chips
  • Chopped thin crème de mint candies, like Andes

Marshmallows

  • Mini marshmallows
  • Marshmallow topping, like Fluff (remember that?)
  • Make your own with a kit from the Barefoot Contessa! (Homemade Marshmallow Mix)

Stirrers

What is your favorite Hot Chocolate recipe or treat to add into your cup of chocolate? share it with the 24/7 MOMS by leaving a comment here on the blog or email us at trisha@24moms.com

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger michelle said...

ohhh this is a really good idea. I love hot chocolate, but I never really make it for some reason. It's a great idea for Valentine's day with the kids!

February 3, 2009 at 6:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I keep a jar of caramel topping (like for ice cream sundaes - I'm partial to Braum's brand - but any should do fine) and I will get a huge amount on a teaspoon and use the teaspoon to stir my hot chocolate mix (I prefer Marshmallow Madness) and it dissolves in the drink - yummy! A guy at a coffee shop showed me this idea and I've used it ever since!

February 3, 2009 at 7:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful... I love prepare chocolate bar for Valentines Day...

February 3, 2009 at 11:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

February 5, 2009 at 8:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home