24/7 MOMS

Friday, July 11, 2008

Trisha's Friday Favorites July11

More of my Summer Favorites to share with you.

My Favorite Summer Kid Treat:

As a child, my favorite summertime treat was a snow cone. I have often been told stories about how, as a little girl, I would spend the entire day at our family-owned beach (Johnson's beach in Guerneville, CA) walking back and forth to the snow cone stand placing my little hands on the counter until someone placed a snow cone in my hands. Then, off I would go, walking back to my towel until I finished off the last bite. Then back to the snow cone stand I would go. Guess that was one way to keep your little one occupied during those busy summer days at the beach.

Today in our home we own an electric snow cone maker, and I keep a supply of sweet flavorful syrups to choose from when we make snow cones. MMM, doesn't one sound good right now?

What is your favorite summer treat?


My Favorite Summer Safety Item:

Bicycle helmets. Oh, how I love to see my boys flying down the street on their scooters or bikes wearing their helmets, as if they are just part of the day's outfit.

Are you in need of bicycle helmets? Contact your local Fire Department to see if they have a helmet safety program, selling helmets at discounted prices. Each time one of my children is in need of a bicycle or snowboard (ski) helmet we head over to our local Fire Department, get fitted and purchase ours at great prices.

What summertime safety item is your favorite?


Favorite Summer FREEbie:
I like to keep sample sizes of laundry detergent in our travel trailer for those emergency times when I need to do a load of laundry while we are traveling.

So, when I find FREEbie sample sizes of laundry detergent I always know exactly what I will do with them - place them in my travel trailer.

Today I found a FREEbie of purex laundry soap: http://www.freesample-purex.com/PurexSample/ I already ordered mine. Quick - order yours today!

Do you have a favorite summer FREEbie?


Favorite Summer Fun New Play Dough Recipe:
CJ (Caleb) and Nate-no are happy to sit for at least an hour and terriorize my kitchen floor as they cut, mold, smash and create all sorts of play dough creations.
Do you and your kids enjoy making homemade play dough? My kids love to cook and play with play dough, so making a batch of play dough is the perfect activity for my two youngest boys.

I found this great, yummy-smelling play dough recipe over at recipezaar.com.

KOOL AID Play Dough

Ingredients
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup salt
2 (1/4 ounce) packages Kool-Aid
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
2 cups boiling water
3 tablespoons oil
Directions
1. Mix the dry ingredients, then add the boiling water and oil. Be careful-this is HOT!
2. Stir until it thickens, then knead until smooth.
3. This smells so good that by now you will have children leaning over your shoulder wondering how soon they can play with it!

Do you have a favorite summer kid recipe?


My Favorite Summer Teenage Read:

My two girls are big readers, and recently my girlfriends introduced me to Robin Jones Gunn's teenage fiction books for my two teen girls to read. I immediately ordered the first book in the Christy Miller series from Amazon. Now Savannah cannot put her book down, and Shelby is patiently waiting for her to finish it so she can read it. Realizing my girlfriends were once again right in their advice, I have gone back over to Amazon and ordered the next volumes in the series for my girls to read.

The Christy Miller series is perfect for your teenage daughter. It all begins the summer Christy vacations on a California Beach and meets new friends who change her life forever. These stories are filled with experiences and events that our teenagers face in their daily lives. Your daughters can follow Christy's life in 12 books as she learns to stay true to her identity in Christ, drawing closer to God through each situation she faces. If you are looking for an inspirational and encouraging summer read for your daughter(s), I suggest the Robin Jones Gunn books for teenagers. Check out the Christy Miller web site: http://www.christymillerandfriends.com/

Robin Jones Gunn has additional teen series books as well as adult and childrens books to read. http://www.robingunn.com/index.html

You can purchase your Robin Jones Gunn books right here at the 24/7 MOMS blog through our AMAZON search box (on the right side of the blog).

What is your favorite summer read?



Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Vickie Musni said...

So fun to read about another mom's favorites! My favorite summer snack for kids is anything in an ice cream cone - occasionally it's ice cream, often yogurt (sometimes frozen, sometimes not), sometimes it is fruit salad or Jell-O pieces and Cool Whip. It's fun for them and easy to clean up because there are no dishes to wash!

My favorite read this summer was a "classic" I hadn't read since Jr. High - The Princess Bride. Every bit as good as the movie, and just as good as I remembered the book being when I read it years ago. Bonus - I let my older kids watch it this summer! Talk about fun family bonding...

July 12, 2008 at 8:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home