24/7 MOMS

Sunday, November 13, 2011

The Dance of Faith


By Steph Fink
My son boogied into the kitchen and joined me, as I was smack dab in the middle of both cooking dinner and shakin’ my groove thing to Toby Mac. It was a moment where my inner Solid Gold dancer met his inner rock star and it was pure awesomeness!
We’ve danced in the kitchen like this before but this particular jam session turned “unique” when my son air spanked his own bottom while shaking his moneymaker.  (For the record, he was not mirroring my moves, okay?)
Equally entertained and concerned, I inquired, “Where’d ya learn that move honey?”
Without missing a beat, “Playing Wii Just Dance with you, Momma!”
Wide eyed I replied, “What was that honey? You learned that in public school?”
How desperately I want to blame someone, something, some institution more than myself when “unique” situations arise.  Like when my other son used the word “crap” in a contextually correct sentence.
That was not public school’s fault then either. 
Clearly, I’m not perfect; but somehow I think that “secret” has been out for some time now. 
One evening, after a particularly traumatic homework session with my kids, I beat myself up for all the things that I’m not…patient, polite, or intelligent (forget fifth grade, I’m not smarter than a third grader!).  I was feeling like I was not making the grade as a mother.
Have you ever been there?
As I sat in my favorite overstuffed sand colored chair the following morning, I watched my boys come down to the kitchen and start making their own breakfast and do the school routine.  They didn’t come over to me because they knew what I was doing.  I was in a private meeting.  It was in this private meeting with God that I recognized that while I’m not doing everything right, I’m also not doing everything wrong, either. 
While I’m the first to submit I am concerned my kids will need counseling once grown…I’ve gotten to the point, that I’m not entirely ruining them either.
Every morning my kids see their Mom sit in the same chair with her Bible, journal and at times, with her eyes closed.  They know not to interrupt because they know what their Mom is doing, spending time with God.  They know their Solid-Gold-dancing Momma is dedicated to spending time with God and growing spiritually.  They also know Mom is a lot nicer after spending time with God (which is most likely why they no longer interrupt Mom’s time with God!).
Jim George wrote in 10 Minutes to Knowing the Men and Women of the Bible that, "God's teachings are sometimes better caught than taught." I can tell my kids to read the Bible until I’m blue in the face, but not until they see me do it will they know for certain that there’s merit to that idea. 
How about for just a moment, you and I stop beating ourselves up for all that we’re not and celebrate one thing that we are. 
I’ll go first.  I’m not perfect, but I am faithful.  (Phew, that sure felt good to write!)
The dance of faith has a lot of different moves and steps. Reading the Bible and silent moments alone with God will help my kids dance through the (ahem) “crap” life brings with faith.    
Don’t tell me what you’re not, tell me what you are!  What is one thing that you are proud of that you’re teaching your kids?
(And, if the mood is right, do a little air spank to celebrate what you are, just cause!) J



Steph's writing has appeared in Proverbs 31 Ministry, P31 Woman magazine.  In
her free time she can be found encouraging numerous MOPS group in the
northern Virginia area on the "Colorful Art of Friendship - Allowing
God to Paint the Masterpieces" and MOPS leaders on "Being a Bright
Light".

Steph can be found blogging at www.encouragedinheart.org or on Facebook at Stephanie Fink or on her Facebook page Encouraged in Heart - Stephanie Fink.  She loves big hair, big cups of coffee and big bear hugs.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Steph said...

THANK YOU, Trisha, for letting me boogie over here and write for 24/7 MOMS!I'm teaching my kids how to dance in the kitchen and pray about decisions, hurts and what God wants them to do!

November 13, 2011 at 11:12 AM  
Blogger LAK said...

Hi Steph, I LOVE dancing with the kids. The other night we had a 5 song dance party with the i-pod blaring. We all loved it. Those are the memories I hope my kids hang on to, not the ones where I'm going to be portrayed in some sort of mommy dearest movie when I die :) What I am hoping is that I can do lots of dancing, playing, cuddling, reading, talking, etc, so much that it totally outweighs those moments I regret.
Thanks for your honesty and your wise words, I always appreciate and relate.

November 13, 2011 at 4:20 PM  
Anonymous Beth Davidson said...

Love your honesty Steph. For moms like me who now have kids old enough to have their own kids,I can look back and see lots of mistakes made over the years.It would be easy to stay mentally "stuck" on those regrets.
But "stuck" isn't good for my mental health so I ask the Holy Spirit to help me keep moving (dancing) to change and improve my relationships with my kids,even the grown kids. There are no "cookie cutter" moms.

1 Peter 4:8 Most of all, love each other as if your life depended on it. Love makes up for practically everything.

November 14, 2011 at 5:08 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home