24/7 MOMS

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

10 Grilling Tips For Summer Meals



From: 24/7 MOMS Live Web Cast 6/7/11

When the sun comes out so does the BBQ in my house – which I love because the more we can cook outside the less mess I have inside and it just seems everything taste better when its BBQ'd or grilled.  PLUS it is SIMPLE to create yummy family pleasing meals.

Here are some keeping it simple grilling tips and ideas for you

1.  Sauces-Don't put the sauce on until the meat is about ready. Too early and the sugars will burn and blacken.

2.  Marinades- Simply marinating your meat for at least 20 minutes not only improves flavor but tenderizes all cuts of meat. (Note: red meat, poultry and pork can be marinated in the refrigerator overnight, but fish should be soaked for no longer than 20 minutes, as marinating actually starts the cooking process in fish). Montreal Steak Seasoning by McCormick’s is the best steak seasoning. And the McCormick’s Kickin chicken seasoning! Marinade steaks or chicken with Pepsi (or Coke if you prefer) cola makes meat tender!

3.  Skewer/Kabobs -Grilled kabobs are a guaranteed crowd pleaser. When grilling kabobs that incorporate strips of meat, chicken or individual shrimp, make sure the skewer goes through the food twice so each piece will stay in place rather than rotating. Or, cut the meat into cubes and spear once for an even, easy cook. Also, be sure to soak wood skewers in water before placing them on the grill, as dry skewers will burn.

4.  Sticky Factor -Oil the meat/vegetables (not the grates) for the great grill marks and to help from sticking... When grilling flip the meat/burgers just once (leave it alone). Also, make sure the grill is SUPER HOT before putting chicken on or it will stick.

5. Best Items to Grill
Vegetables: Capsicum, Potatoes, Onions, Corn, Eggplant, Zucchini

Fruits: Pears, Pineapples, Apples, Grapes, Apricots, Plums, Peaches

Meat: Steak, Chicken, Fish, Sausage.

6.   Meat Choices-  Leaner cuts (less marbling) have more flavor but tend to be a bit tougher if cooked past medium. The sirloin, New York, round and flank fall into this category.
Most Flavor: Sirloin and New York

Most Tender: Rib-Eye and Tenderloin.

7.  Basic Food Tip- Be sure to wash everything after handling raw meat. Don't use the same plate for the cooked meat that you used for the uncooked meat unless you've washed it in between. When marinating, never use the marinating sauce again for basting, as this will cause contamination. If you want to use marinating sauce for basting — remove some before marinating and set aside.

8.  Be organized - Keep a spray water bottle beside the BBQ and give a quick squirt, when necessary, to prevent flare-ups. Make sure you have everything you need close at hand before you begin. More food has been charred when the cook runs into the house to get something.

9.  Temperature/Done - When you can keep your hand over a fire for three seconds, it means you have medium heat. At this temperature, most foods grill without burning on the outside. Professional chefs generally use touch to tell when the steak is done. Press down the centre of the steak with your finger.

A rare steak will feel quite soft to the touch;

A medium-rare steak will have some resistance but yield to the touch

A medium steak starts to feel firm, but still have some give in the centre

A well-done steak will feel very firm.

10. GRILLING- Prepare the fire a half hour or more before grilling. For quick lighting, use a chimney starter with crumpled newspaper in the bottom and briquettes or charcoal above.  Or stack the charcoal in a pyramid shape and light with a liquid or electric starter. Charcoal is ready for cooking when it's 80% ashy grey in daylight, glowing red at night.  This usually takes about 25 to 30 minutes.

Labels:

30 Comments:

Anonymous Ro @ Mommy MindSpa said...

My hubby LOVES to BBQ! Great tips!!
New follower from commenthour

Ro :)
Have YOU had YOUR Mom-ME Moment today?
http://www.MommyMindSpa.com

June 8, 2011 at 6:43 PM  
Blogger The Maven said...

Dang. Now I want to grill.

June 8, 2011 at 6:45 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Great advice! I love a good bbq and a good marinade!

#CommentHour

Ginger
Literally Inspired

June 8, 2011 at 6:45 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

great grilling tips. Thanks for sharing!

June 8, 2011 at 6:45 PM  
Anonymous Heidi D. said...

Great tips!! I'll pass along to my husband, the grilling guru in our house.

June 8, 2011 at 6:45 PM  
Blogger Branson said...

We love to bbq during the summer! Now that the lil man is old enough to enjoy the food it is even better! :)

June 8, 2011 at 6:45 PM  
Blogger Dianna@KennedyAdventures said...

Sigh ... and now, you are making me hungry. I vote #11- have a handsome husband to man the grill!

June 8, 2011 at 6:45 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Great tips! "Sticky" is always my problem - sigh.

June 8, 2011 at 6:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here for #commenthour and this made me hungry!

June 8, 2011 at 6:46 PM  
Blogger The Woven Moments said...

Never thought about soaking the skewers in water before grilling. Brilliant tip.

Happy to find you from #commenthour!

June 8, 2011 at 6:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great tips! I'm just getting started grilling (my husband works a lot in the evenings), so these were helpful!

June 8, 2011 at 6:46 PM  
Anonymous Marie Noelle said...

Great tips! I didn't know most of them! I'm not always in charge of the BBQ but next time I'll be, I'll have to remember your post!

June 8, 2011 at 6:46 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Awesome tips!

June 8, 2011 at 6:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the tips. I have to brave the grill alone this summer so this will help! #commenthour
http://sairforcespouse.com/

June 8, 2011 at 6:51 PM  
Anonymous Jenn Donogh said...

My absolute favorite veggie grilling item right now is artichoke. Finally mastered it. Silly me never knew to first boil then grill!

June 8, 2011 at 6:54 PM  
Blogger Amy Anderson said...

Great tips! #CommentHour

Amy @ A Little Nosh

June 8, 2011 at 6:55 PM  
Blogger rachel said...

mmm, we just bbq'd some pork tenderloin and it was all charred (still good though), probably from too much sugar in the marinade!?

June 8, 2011 at 7:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yum! I love grilling season! Thanks for the great tips! #commenthour

June 8, 2011 at 7:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

WOW hardcore grilling advice! I'm adding one to the skewer thing for morons like me - make sure to soak your wooden skewers or they will catch fire!
I love grilling - I wished we lived in a house instead of a condo so we could grill.
My hubby used to grill even in winter - out in the garage where it was warmish. It's an interesting sight seeing loads of smoke coming out of your garage door like that....

June 8, 2011 at 7:02 PM  
Blogger NV said...

This is such a great post. Our family has always loved the McCormick's!!! Lots of other fabulous tips. Thanks so much for sharing your expertise.

June 8, 2011 at 7:07 PM  
Anonymous Trish said...

YUM! Thanks for this! #commenthour

June 8, 2011 at 7:49 PM  
Blogger Chasing Joy said...

Awesome Grilling tips. I will be referring to this next week when I have my annual BBQ!!!

Stopping by from #commenthour.

June 8, 2011 at 7:50 PM  
Blogger TheProDiva said...

These are great grilling tips! As much as I love barbeque, I am never the one on the grill! As such, I have very little experience in grilling. Thanks for the advice!

June 8, 2011 at 7:56 PM  
Anonymous Diane @ OhDiane said...

Great tips. I didn't know that about that sauces.
Visiting from #commenthour

June 8, 2011 at 8:19 PM  
Blogger Brittany Baughman (@TheButterflyMom) said...

My husband sauces from start to finish...and our food always burns, now I know why and what to tell him HE is doing wrong LOL. Thanks!

June 8, 2011 at 8:30 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Veggie kabobs are my favorite! I'm just happy that as a vegetarian I can still enjoy summer BBQs! ;-)

June 8, 2011 at 8:40 PM  
Anonymous Amber said...

I love a good plate of BBQ, but we're not very active grillers! LOL Great tips, though!

June 8, 2011 at 8:44 PM  
Blogger Tina Kelley said...

Best thing to grill?? POUND CAKE!! I'm totally not kidding either. It smells good and tastes yummy for strawberry shortcake.

June 8, 2011 at 9:10 PM  
Anonymous 2commentaristas said...

I like this post, and I definitely learned a lot about the art of grilling! I know the hard way about not marinating fish for too long; it will fall apart in a mushy mess once you are finally ready to cook it (at least, this happened with tilapia)

visiting from #commenthour

June 8, 2011 at 10:35 PM  
Blogger Micha @ Cookin' Mimi said...

I'm glad to hear I can marinate chicken longer. I'd always heard it was like fish and an hour or two was as long as it should be marinated.

June 9, 2011 at 12:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home