24/7 MOMS

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The Fiber Diet

The Fiber Diet or The Way of Life
by Leslie Pleasants

After my first daughter was born (almost 5 years ago)... I looked at myself and didn't even recognize myself. I was heavier then I had ever been. I dressed in baggy shirts and never wanted to leave the house. Is this what happens to women that have kids? Was it just me? I started to get jealous of all the other mommy's out there that where a size 8 and under. Would I ever get there again?

When my daughter turned 1, we decided to start trying for another one. A few months later I was pregnant. One of the great things about being pregnant (in my mind at the time) was that it was ok to be on the heavier side... I was pregnant. I now had an excuse. At the same time of me getting pregnant I also decided to eat healthier. I had always ate really well.... so I thought. It was the snacking I was bad at. So I decided to eat only high fiber foods. You would be amazed on how many products out there are high in fiber!


Pretty much from the beginning of the diet/pregnancy I started losing weight. Doctors weren't sure if it was my change of food or if my son was taking all my food. :) I ended up weighing the same amount that I did from the very beginning of the pregnancy till the last day of having my son in me. So as my son grew... I was losing weight. Doctors were concerned but when my son came out almost weighing 9 pounds they said he was pretty darn healthy.


I have now been on this "Way of Life" going on 3 years now. Keeping my weight the same(where I want it to be) and feeling healthy. My family all eats healthy high fiber foods and we all really enjoy it. High fiber foods don'Align Centert cost extra... you just want to make sure that almost everything you eat has fiber in it and drink lots of fluids. If you don't drink enough water (in which I don't like water.... I drink a lot of Crystal Light)... you will get backed up. :)


Here are some samples of what I eat that are all high fiber (check labels):


Breakfast


-Cereals (Fiber One, Raisin Bran, Fiber Plus)

-Oatmeal (Quaker, high fiber)

-Bars (Fiber One, Fiber Plus, Pop Tart, Safeway brand HF, South Beach HF)

-Fruit (Banana, Apple, Grapefruit)

-Toast (100% Whole Wheat)

-Waffles (Multi-Grain)


Lunch/Snack


-Sandwich (100% Whole Wheat bread)

-Soup (Campbells HF, Progresso HF)

-Nuts (Almonds, Pistachio)

-Hot Pockets (lean & 100% Whole Grain)

-Popcorn (air popped)

-Turkey Chili w/ Whole Wheat Saltines


Dinner


-Starch (Brown Rice, 100% Whole Wheat Pasta, Baked Potato)

-Veggies (Broccoli... lots of broccoli, Carrots, Spinach, Avocado, Corn, Green Beans)

-Frozen Entrees (Eating Right/Safeway brand HF, Lean Cuisine HF, Weight Watchers HF, Healthy Choice HF)


To see a list of High Fiber Foods (not boxed or canned) click here. Otherwise make sure you check the labels. Don't buy anything processed... keep it Whole Wheat as much as you can.

Many experts will agree that a proper diet takes into account calories, balanced nutrition, vitamins, avoidance of dangerous foods such as saturated fats, and attention to all sources of dietary fiber from fruits, vegetables, whole grains and nuts and even seeds.

Dietary fiber has long been reported to have many health benefits, but the big five are:

~improvements in gastrointestinal health
~improvements in glucose tolerance and insulin response
~reduction of hyperlipidaemia
~hypertension and other coronary heart disease risk factors
~reduction in the risk of developing some cancers
~and increased satiety (hence, some degree of weight management)

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous David A said...

VitaTops are also a great source of fiber for breakfast or midday snack! They are 100 calorie muffin tops that come in a variety of flavors like deep chocolate (my favorite). Check them out, they're all natural!

January 19, 2011 at 1:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home