24/7 MOMS

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Fruit of the Spirit - Peace




by: Jeanie
Cullip
24/7 MOMS Inspiration Editor




Peace? Yeah, I remember peace. It's that feeling I get when I wake up in the morning. It's when the day seems all new and fresh - filled with possibilities. It's what arrives in large measure as I pray to God. He renews me. He touches my life. He reassures me. And, many times, He corrects me as He sets me on the right path.

It's that feeling that hits its climax as I cast my cares on God - tell Him all about my problems, ask Him what He's going to do about them, and then listen as He reassures me that everything is going to be alright. And then tells me what I need to do.

And everything is just fine. But then I get out of bed.......

And get on that daily treadmill called life as I begin my daily hurried, rush-rush type behavior that sends me zooming through the house and run, run, run to get the children to the bus stop on time.

And that feeling of peace slowly fritters away throughout the day.

Peace

Yeah, I'd like to have a little more of that. Wouldn't you?

Romans 14:17 - "For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost. " (I talked about the 'joy' aspect in Fruit of the Spirit - Joy)
Not only is peace essential to the Christian walk, but it is actually part of the 'kingdom of God'. And what is the kingdom of God? Is it a place? No. This 'kingdom of God' best corresponds to the 'power' of God. When we think of the God's power, we tend to think of all the miracles He performed, the plagues against the Egyptian Pharaoh, the parting of the Red Sea or Jesus healing lepers and the blind. But much of the 'power' of God is also contained in the power of salvation, the work and existence of the Holy Spirit, our righteousness through the sacrifice of Jesus Christ and the grace and mercy that He has given to us time and time and again.

Paul said in the above quoted Romans 14:17 that the kingdom of God was, in part, made of peace. So, if the kingdom of God is the power of God and peace is one of its building blocks, then our having peace in our lives allows us to access the power He enables. It enables us to be the way through which the Holy Spirit can work. To operate in our uniquely given spiritual gifts. To heal and to teach; prophesy and preach. Peace is an integral part of the working of the power of God in our lives.

I believe this to be true simply because when I don't have peace (defined by Strong's Concordance as quietness and rest), I don't hear from God. I don't clearly feel the touch of God and cannot clearly identify the leading of His Holy Spirit. So, peace is much more than having a 'restful' state of mind - it is the very gateway of our access to the power of God. Without peace, we cannot truly operate in our spiritual gifts or carry out the work of God.

I've always thought of peace simply as a state of mind, but from the statements above, I see now that it is:
  1. a spiritual gift
  2. part of the kingdom of God
  3. the way we gain access the power of God

So how do we get this 'peace'?
John 14:26-27 2But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.
So peace originates from God.
Romans 8:6 The mind of sinful man is death, but the mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace
So, to have peace, we must be followers of the Holy Spirit (allowing Him to lead and guide us).
2 Corinthians 13:11 Finally, brothers, good-by. Aim for perfection, listen to my appeal, be of one mind, live in peace. And the God of love and peace will be with you

So in order to obtain peace, we have to seek after God and maturity in our faith, do for others and live in peace with others.

Philippians 4:6-7 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
So we have to stop worrying, let God know all that is in our hearts (and turn them over to Him), and peace will be ours.

I like that. I like not having to carry around my own concerns. I like that God cares enough to listen to my complaining and whining. And I like the fact that in exchange for all my bad behavior, He gives me peace. I am definitely on the winning end of this bargain.

I know now that I am going to try harder to attain and maintain my own personal peace. How about you? What have your experiences been with peace? Any other tips you can share with me and other readers about peace? Discuss here at the 24/7 MOMS Community.

Blessings & Giggles to you & yours,


Stay- at- Home Mommy & Writer

Jeanie Cullip is a happily married, stay-at-home mom of 3 children of her own and 2 step-children. Finding joy, love & hope right in her own back yard and sharing it with her neighbors near and far. She is a freelance writer residing in Gig Harbor. Find out more on her blog Soccer Mom in Giggle Town.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Turnedgypsy said...

your site is just wonderful, thanks

chriswooten57
mcwooten1999@carolina.rr.com
http://turnedgypsy.blogspot.com

May 23, 2010 at 6:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home