24/7 MOMS

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Fruit of the Spirit - Joy




by: Jeanie Cullip
24/7 MOMS Inspiration Editor




I don't know about you, but as I go through my day to day life, I find this idea of 'joy' to be pretty elusive. Most days I feel somewhere between okay and good. But joy?

Let's find out what this whole 'joy' thing is supposed to be about. Joy is the second
fruit of the spirit listed in Galatians 5:22. According to Strong's Concordance, this 'joy' means cheerfulness, that is a calm delight, and gladness. So our joy is to be a combination of being delighted yet calm, glad and exceedingly joyful. Calm, delighted and exceedingly joyful.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition defines joy as intense and especially ecstatic or exultant happiness and the expression or manifestation of such feeling.

This type of 'joy' can be found in the Bible:

Matthew 13:20 - to describe how a person would feel who receives the word of God
Matthew 25:21 - to describe the joy that a person would enter into once he or she has successfully served the Lord
Luke 1:14 -the joy that Zacharias the priest would have once his wife Elizabeth gave birth to the future John the Baptist
Luke 15:7 - the joy that is felt in heaven when one sinner repents as opposed to ninety-nine righteous persons who have no need of repentance.

How do we get this type of joy?

Jesus speaks about how we should abide in him in John 15:3-5, 9-11. Jesus says:

You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me. "I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.
"As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father's commands and remain in his love. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete.

Joy is found through our relationship with Jesus Christ and his relationship with The Father. Jesus even specifically mentions our spiritual 'fruit' in the above passage, making it clear that we only bring forth this fruit as we abide in him , without him we can't do anything!

Our joy is not be based on our circumstances, our perspective, our paycheck or our mindset. But on our relationship with Jesus Christ and our abiding in him. It can never be taken away it is permanent . That joy is found within the Holy Spirit, it shows up and is proclaimed as a result of His presence within us.

Happiness comes from Happenings and Joy comes from the LORD!

Come share your joy with us at the
24/7 MOMS Inspiration for Moms Group.

Blessings & Giggles to you & yours,


Stay- at- Home Mommy & Writer

Jeanie Cullip is a happily married, stay-at-home mom of 3 children of her own and 2 step-children. Finding joy, love & hope right in her own back yard and sharing it with her neighbors near and far. She is a freelance writer residing in Gig Harbor. Find out more on her blog Soccer Mom in Giggle Town.

Image: healingdream / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home