Serendipity Frozen Hot Chocolate Recipe
Stephanie Gallagher, About.com Guide . Reprinted with permission.
Frozen hot chocolate may sound like a contradiction, but The New York restaurant Serendipity 3 made frozen hot chocolate an institution. This is the original Serendipity frozen hot chocolate recipe, but I've tweaked the method a bit to make it easier for kids to make all by themselves.
With my version, you don't have to melt the chocolate on the stove. And you can even use chocolate chips if you don't want to chop the chocolate yourself.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
- 6 oz. chopped semisweet chocolate (or chocolate chips)
- 3 cups whole milk, divided
- 1 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. your favorite powdered hot chocolate mix
- 3 Tbsp. sugar
- 6 cups ice cubes
- whipped cream for garnish
- Place chopped chocolate and 1/4 cup of the milk in a microwave-safe container. Heat on 50% power for 1 minute. Stir.
- Heat on 50% power for 30 seconds. Stir. If necessary, continue heating in 30-second increments until chocolate is melted.
- Add hot chocolate mix and sugar. Stir.
- Slowly pour in 1/2 cup of the milk. Stir, and let cool to room temperature.
- Pour cooled chocolate mixture into blender. Add remaining milk and ice cubes. Puree until smooth.
- Top with whipped cream and serve immediately.