24/7 MOMS

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The Power of a Mother


by: Susan Fox
24/7 MOMS Family Life Editor

I believe a mother is in most cases the single most influential person in our lives. Her influence may be positive or negative or a combination of both. I pray that as a mother I would at least be remembered by my children as having primarily a positive influence on their lives. Being a mother comes with the highest moral and social responsibility that there is on the planet. I am going to try and become more mindful of that everyday.

Mother’s, remember, our tongues can wield sharp criticism or powerful praise, our hands can dole out harsh punishment or loving touches, our moods will dictate the moods of our families, our homes can be a place of turmoil or a peaceful refuge. Each little thing we do every day carries far reaching consequences, even into the next generations. A mother has a tremendous power, she has the power….

To praise or to criticize
To encourage or discourage
To heal or to hurt
To teach or to ignore
To give value or to demoralize
To teach love or loathing
To uphold or put down
To be tender or mean
To make a home a place you want to be or a house you want to avoid
To bring a family together or help tear it apart
To listen with empathy or be feared
To teach selflessness rather than selfishness
To pray for her children or nag them

The list could go on and on. What power do you hold today?

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Raejean said...

What a great post! I love remembering the tremendous power we have as moms!

February 23, 2010 at 12:12 PM  
Blogger Shonda said...

I love this! I need to post it on my mirror and go over it everyday!

February 23, 2010 at 4:01 PM  
Anonymous Betsy (zen-mama.com) said...

Hi Susan,
I totally agree! That is what my whole blog and book, HOW TO BE A ZEN MAMA, is about...the power we have to change our attitudes, not be too angry and be the type of mom we really want to be! (By the way...found 24/7 on twittermoms)

February 23, 2010 at 4:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home