24/7 MOMS

Friday, January 9, 2009

Tips for Organizing Your Christmas Decorations


The snow has melted, the kids are back in school and it’s time to drag in the empty containers/boxes from my garage to begin the un-decorating of my home. And very typical of me is to want to do it in some organized way so that next year my decorating time will be simplified.

I found some great tips from the ladies over at Busy Bee Lifestyle to help me out and to share with you.


Tips for Organizing Your Christmas Decorations

By Host Bee http://www.busybeelifestyle.com/

Taking down the tree and removing the lights from the windows is a bit sad - but with a little bit of organization, putting your Christmas decorations back out next year will be a pleasure! Here are a few ideas that will have you thanking yourself next December!

Organize Your Christmas Lights

As you take down your outdoor lights or tree lights, neatly wrap the strands around paper towel tubes or rolls of newspaper that have been secured with tape. Most importantly, label each strand with a tag indicating where it was used! Toss any sets that aren’t working properly and leave yourself a note indicating what you’d like to purchase for next year!

Take Photos of What Worked This Year ( I (Trisha) really do this and it HELPS me to also recruit help from my children as they can just look at the pictures and know where things go)

Do you set up those lighted porcelain houses? Did you create a decorative arrangement this year that really worked? Take detailed pictures, both inside and out, so that you can duplicate your success next year and avoid having to reinvent the wheel!

Use Well Labeled Storage Bins

It may sound crazy, but I only use one type of bin for storing all of my seasonal decorations! My plastic bin of choice is the 18 gallon Rubbermaid which stacks perfectly, is large enough to hold a lot, but not so big that I can’t lift it when it’s full! I’ve labeled a Christmas bin for almost every room in the house: living room, dining room, kitchen, mantle and so on. The decorations from each room (especially the window candle lights!) are returned to their assigned bin, ready to be unpacked in their proper spot next year.

I hope that these suggestions streamline your packing up this month and your unpacking next December!

24/7 MOMS do you have a TIP to share on how you organize your Christmas decorations? Send us an email and share your ideas with us at trisha@247moms.com

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the organizing advice. We didn't take much out this year to decorate the house (not even the lights) since taking it all out and putting it all away a few weeks later just seemed too daunting for our current life. Taking these tips to heart would really have helped and we may have gotten more up than just the tree! Stephanie in Kent, WA

January 9, 2009 at 7:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home