24/7 MOMS

Saturday, November 13, 2010

The How To's of Raising Great Kids

Yesterday My husband volunteered at our two youngest boys school as part of the Watch Dog program. I stopped by to drop off a few items at the school and when I saw my husband he was wearing a bright orange vest embroidered with DADS of Great Students on it.

It got me thinking about Great Kids and what it takes to be the mom and dad of great kids. Great kids don't just arrive into our homes we as the parents have to participate in the raising of Great kids.

How do we participate? What are the essential ingredients we need to pour into our kids lives to be the mom and dad of great kids?

I'm excited to begin a short series of articles filled with ideas , thoughts and resources to raising Great kids over the next few days - so check in daily for your Raising GREAT kid recipes.


10 FUN tips to Raising Great kids ( not in any particular order)

Have Family Dinners at least 3 times per week.

Have Family Movie or game nights (weekly /monthly).

Strengthen your marriage by Mom and Dad going on date nights ( weekly /monthly).

Schedule Kid Dates with each of your kids individually.

Send Daily encouraging communications to your kids with - TXT, email , Facebook or phone calls. ( this is great for older kids)

Pray with each of your kids when you tuck them in to bed. Ask them if there is anything specific they want prayer for.

Take your Kids to church each week and be involved in your local church.

Plan at least one Family Vacation each year.

Be involved in your kids School - Participate in the parent organization, go on field trips, attend evening school functions etc.

Read to your kids even when they can read.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Laura J Harrison said...

I was reading my newsletter and wanted to commend you on the 10 fun tips! My kids are 18 and 30. They both are in their freshman year of college. I'm so proud of them. I have them read to me sometimes. I like to hear their reports and such for their courses. Thanks again.
A mom and Granny too!

November 13, 2010 at 8:27 PM  
Blogger mutchkin21 said...

I like your list of tips to raising great kids. My husband and I find it very important to have family meals (whether breakfast, lunch or dinner) together at the table. No tv or phone calls. Even though our daughter is 16 months, it is good experience for her. It is amazing how much family time is taken up with tv and phone calls etc. This is a great time to communicate while all is sitting down. Also a great time to teach table manners.

clc_little_britches @ yahoo dot com

November 13, 2010 at 9:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home